Most people don’t know how easy it is to make their homes run on less energy, and here at InterNACHI, we want to change that. Drastic reductions in heating, cooling and electricity costs can be accomplished through very simple changes, most of which homeowners can do themselves. Of course, for homeowners who want to take advantage of the most up-to-date knowledge and systems in home energy efficiency, InterNACHI energy auditors can perform in-depth testing to find the best energy solutions for your particular home.
Why make your home more energy efficient? Here are a few good reasons:
1. Find better ways to heat and cool your house.
- Install a ceiling fan. Ceiling fans can be used in place of air conditioners, which require a large amount of energy.
- Periodically replace air filters in air conditioners and heaters.
2. Install a tankless water heater.
3. Replace incandescent lights.
Use CFL's or LED's
4. Seal and insulate your home.
Go to HomeDepot and get a can of spary faom and fill in those cracks.
5. Install efficient showerheads and toilets.
6. Use appliances and electronics responsibly.
7. Install daylighting as an alternative to electrical lighting.
8. Insulate windows and doors.
9. Cook smart.
- Microwave ovens consume approximately 80% less energy than ovens.
- Pans should be placed on the matching size heating element or flame.
- Using lids on pots and pans will heat food more quickly than cooking in uncovered pots and pans.
- Pressure cookers reduce cooking time dramatically.
10. Change the way you do laundry.
You can read more on the InterNachi Website